Frog

Frog

Sunday, December 23, 2012

Kam Hing Coffee Shop - The 75¢ store

After a decent if not superduper dim sum in Chinatown at Pings, I started looking around for a local coffee to wash it down, and maybe get a small dessert.

Kam Hing, on Baxter Street, looked like the kind of sketchy hidey-hole I write about...so I took the plunge.



The facade stands resolutely in 1970's Chinatown industrialism.  They get a C for cleanliness...but isn't C also for cookie?


Once you enter, there's a case of almond cookies, coconut custard mini-pies, and individual sponge-cakes.  Halloween apparently never ends at Kam Hing, and a sombreroed chihuahua adds cheer to the minimalist decor.


Now check out the menu.  Almost every drink - and baked doodad - costs only 75 cents!  Brilliant, or shortsighted?


Outdoor seating a plus!


As I looked over the menu, a young Chinese woman was buying a dozen sponge cakes for her mom.  A good sign...so my friend bought one.

This sponge cake was a serious champion.  Moist, soft and vanilla-y, with an eggy finish that made the cake much more flavorful than just a sugary sponge. This picture may not look particularly appetizing, but friend's teeth were faster than my camera.

The iced coffee was kind of gross...flat and "cardboardy" as I describe it.  I threw it away after a few caffeine-rich gulps.

I'd definitely come back to try the coconut custard pies, and other cookies.  Kam Hing gets 5 bellies out of 10, but that's really an average of 3 for the coffee and 7 for the cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment